Magedia team undertook a successful replatforming project with transforming an outdated eCommerce website based on WordPress to the modern Magento 2 store. The new website has a responsive and customized theme and offers a seamless shopper experience across multiple devices. The client also wanted to implement certain unique features on the store product pages, and the Magedia team has successfully made all necessary customizations to satisfy these requirements.
About the client
The client is a US wholesale business with multiple brands in the home furnishings and tableware segment. They have a range of products specially designed to brighten up any interior. The use of unusual textures and materials, thoughtful design, and impeccable finish are what distinguishes them from other players in the market. Their customer base includes large retail businesses and licensed interior designers.
Project Context and Objectives
The client approached the Magedia team with a visually outdated WordPress website. The requirement was to develop a completely new website that was creative and appealing using the latest design trends. The initial website was also not optimized for mobile.
The objective behind replatforming was to increase site productivity, improve the buying process by streamlining the order fulfillment process, enhance the design to match the current trends and make the website mobile-friendly.
Magedia team decided to build the new eCommerce store on the Magento 2 platform. The reason behind choosing Magento 2 was manifold. It comes integrated with responsive design themes, B2B functionality, fast checkout features to improve conversion rates, boost sales through personalization and offer a smooth and seamless buying experience across multiple devices.
Migration to Magento 2 and creation of Magento 2 theme
Magedia team initiated work on the project by doing a thorough site audit. The next step was to migrate the settings and assess the scope of work required to get everything working correctly.
During the migration from WordPress to Magento 2, several website enhancements were made, and on finishing the migration process, the online store got a completely new look based on the client’s requirements.
- A customized Magento 2 theme was created, including updated graphics, modernized layout and content rearrangements.
- The site was optimized for mobile, and this enabled the end-users to browse the site easily from all devices.
Also, at the redesign stage, a complete website performance optimization was done. The extensions, custom codes used, web services credentials and page load speed were checked thoroughly and improved, while media assets and layouts were reviewed and migrated seamlessly.
The migration process also involved the efficient and secure transfer of all critical information related to the store (customer, product and order data, store configurations, promotions, etc.). All this was done with minimal downtime so that the Client could get the store up and running quickly.
On finalizing the design and testing it, we set up the hosting server according to the new system requirements for Magento 2. After server optimization, a final database synchronization was performed to ensure that no orders or customers are omitted or left behind in the migration process. We tested the final version once again to ensure that everything was working. Now, the new store was ready for the launch.
Migration to Magento 2 and creation of Magento 2 theme
The Client wanted to simplify the order process for the end-users. To achieve this, we had to customize the product page. It involved the creation of a custom product type in Magento 2 - Collection product. To develop this successfully, we had to undertake complex customizations both at the back-end and front-end. The customization done at the back-end allowed the website admin to add such a new product with the type “collection product” through the admin panel.
The frontend customization done allowed the customer to open this product and see all other products from the collection on the same page. This new feature significantly improved and simplified the ordering process. Before implementing this feature, the end-user had to look for related products on different pages and add them to the cart to form the final order.
The customization allowed the user to choose the desired products, select the various attributes (for example, the size of the plates, the number of plates, etc.), and place an order on one page. It has helped improve the user experience significantly and reduced the time taken to place orders. With the addition of this new functionality, there was a remarkable increase in the number of orders received.
Results Delivered as part of the Project
- Site speed improved significantly, resulting in more sales and improved SEO
- The checkout process was streamlined and it helped reduce cart abandonment
- The website performance improved with the help of an updated technology stack - PHP7, MySQL, Varnish, HTML5, CSS3, RequireJS, Knockout.js, etc.
- The number of mobile users visiting the site and the number of orders from mobile devices has increased significantly due to the mobile-optimized layouts
- Third-party integrations with PayPal, Braintree, Authorize.net, Klarna, and others have made the site more secure and versatile.
- Integration with Elasticsearch has improved the in-site search feature and the users can now find items on the site easily and quickly
- Site administrators can now quickly access the required information thanks to the fully customized admin panel. With this, they can add new items and edit existing info about the products easily and import products 4 times faster resulting in increased productivity.
- The website was built using the WYSIWYG Page Builder for Magento 2. This makes it very easy for the site administrators to add, edit and publish content on the website.
- Site navigation was enhanced improving the user experience and attracting return customers.
- The complete redesign of the website helped boost the website speed, improve cross-browser compatibility and the overall user experience.
Project Process and Methodology
Magedia assigned a project manager and 2 developers to work on this project. After analyzing the scope of work, we decided to use the Kanban methodology. With this method, we could update the client with the various new functionalities and features added soon after the implementation. With this, the client could assess the progress made, see the results and recommend changes if required.
We supported this initiative with daily meetings and progress reports. It helped the teams to align fully during the project implementation phase. The open and transparent communication systems set up helped in maintaining time schedules and even reducing the project delivery time substantially.
On completion of the website development, our QA team tested the various aspects of the website like user experience, responsiveness, functionalities added, accessibility, etc., and the more critical ones like the ability to handle high traffic (load testing) and security. It helped us identify potential issues that can hamper the website's performance and prevent it from working to its fullest potential.
- 165% ROI achieved within 1 year after migrating to Magento Commerce 2
- 29% increase in revenue from mobile devices
- 5% increase in the average value of the order
- 61% cut in the time taken for content creation
- 25% growth in website traffic
- 16% rise in conversion rates
With this replatforming project, the client now has a modern-looking site updated with the latest features. The customized theme, user-friendly search options, product pages with unique features, easy navigation and mobile responsiveness all helped improve the user experience, drive new traffic, boost conversions, and increase revenues.